Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tootin' my own horn

This post is a little follow up to my previous one ...
       As an art student it is often required in my classes to submit work to competitions. At the end of the last semester I still had one show left to submit to so I could get full credit in a class. There was a competition opportunity in San Antonio for a show entitled Making Herstory. This seemed like a good fit for me, and the price was right, $10 for three images. (Yes, you do have to pay to enter most competitions.) I chose to submit work from my final project that semester. I paid my fee, submitted my work, emailed the receipt to my teacher, and promptly forgot all about it. Christmas was fast approaching, and I probably wasn't going to get in anyway.

     Yesterday, I decided to check my student email after nearly a month of neglect. I was not looking forward to the amount I was surely going to have to sift through. So, there I sat deleting junk mail, and being reminded at least 5 times to change my UTA password when I got to the last email. I opened it up, and low and behold, not one but two of my photos have been chosen to appear in the exhibition I had entered. I think I actually squealed with delight when I read it.
     It means so much to me that someone out there likes my work enough to hang it up in an exhibition. I have been working so very hard these last few years to learn and improve in my photography. Sometimes I can get rather discouraged, and it is so hard to always find the good in what I am doing. We are always our worst critic, at least I know I am.
    I can't wait till the end of March when I will get to go to San Antonio and see my work hanging in an art exhibit.

FYI: They chose the photo of Addie wearing Allan's shoes, and the photo of my Dad looking through Allan's wallet.

1 comment:

What do ya think?