Sunday, July 1, 2012

One Smart Mama

You know, I was never a very good student as a kid. I just didn't work as hard as I could have. I understood most of what I was taught, I even still remember a lot of it, (not so much the math) but I never really thought of myself as being a super smartie. I'm not sure I really knew what it meant to study hard.  However, since going back to college I have a new zest for learning. I really enjoy my classes. I love learning about art and artists. I have found the government and US history classes so much more enlightening.
I have really poured my whole self (or at least as much as a mom of 4 can) into my studies. I know that sometimes Jason wishes I wouldn't work SO HARD. I know he and the kids suffer when Mom has finals and midterms with 2-3 projects due in a week, and a huge test breathing down her neck. More often than not they are left wondering if the house will ever be clean again, and if I have forgotten that ever important meal... dinner.
I am happy to say that all that hard work and time I have been putting in at school is paying off. This last year was my hardest yet. I went a little crazy taking the winter-mester class, I think my family wanted to kill me sometimes, but in the end all is well. I got straight A's both semesters and maintained a high GPA. Because of all this hard work, I received a letter in the mail from my school this week.
When I saw the large envelope addressed to me from the Dean of Liberal Arts I said to Jason, "hey look, they're writing to tell me how awesome I am." You can imagine my surprise when I opened the envelope a few seconds later and read the letter from the Dean informing me I had made the Dean's List. I did a little happy dance and showed Jason my certificate, then ran off to call my mommy and daddy.
This was a much needed recognition of my efforts. It gives me a huge feeling of satisfaction that all my hard work is not in vain. I know that I am fulfilling the admonition in my patriarchal blessing to complete my education. I know and recognize Heavenly Father's hand in my life when I feel all crazy and stressed out from school. There have been too many times when I have felt defeated, and wondered how I could possibly meet my deadlines, and care for my family and church obligations too. However, each time I stop and ask Him for help He pulls me through. I am always amazed by how everything falls into place, by how I become inspired for an art project, when for days I have been stumped for an idea. I am amazed by how loving and forgiving the kids are, and how when I so desperately need to study, Carmella will take a 3 hour nap, and Addie will entertain her self the entire time. Everything always works out, and I know It is Heavenly Father making that happen for me.
Yes, I am a very blessed lady, and one smart mama!


2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Sara! What you are doing is not easy at all. I am so glad you are fulfilling your dreams. You will never regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. Making the Dean's list is a great accomplishment! We are all so VERY proud of you and think you are a wonderful wife and mother too. The woman who can do it all!!

    ReplyDelete

What do ya think?