Wednesday, May 27, 2009

And She Rides!!!!


Emilie is probably the wussiest girl in the world. She has been since she was a tiny child. She used to be afraid of the cracks in the side walk. She would look at them and scream with sincere terror on her face, until I carried her over the giant cavernous crack.

That being said, I was afraid she would never learn to ride her bike. I would suggest we go out and practice, and she would cry and say, "I don't want to learn, I'm just not that kind of person."

One day last week when we were walking home from school a girl smaller than Ivy came speeding past us on her bike. I decided that was IT! She was going to learn to ride whether she liked it or not.I even gave her a lecture on the way home about how I'm not a good mom if I don't encourage my kids to do things they may think are scary, but which are actually good for them and fun too.

So we got home, I pumped up her tires which were flat from never being used, and I sent her out into the street. After 10 minutes of holding on to the back while she rode I let go. She rode 20 feet before she noticed I wasn't holding on anymore. After 30 minutes she was cruising around our cul-de-sac like she owned the place. Since that day she has ridden her bike to school everyday, and rides every after noon with her friends. I couldn't be prouder of my wussy kid!




4 comments:

  1. Go Emilie!!! Fantastic job Sarah, actually I love reading your posts. You write as you speak--very conversational, enjoyable and entertaining! Loved what you wrote about Ivy. We all laughed at her praying for the Old Woman--that is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go Emilie! Hayden just leaned last year himself. That must be the Poyfair blood in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are very proud of you Emilie. Now you can ride at the beach!! Way to go Sara, you will un-wuss her in no time

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an AWESOME mommy!! Would you like to come teach Kaleb? Adam and I are at our wits end :)

    ReplyDelete

What do ya think?