Monday, March 26, 2012

The good and the bad.

Do you ever have a day that you wish you could go back and do again? Or a moment at least, that you would like re-written? I experienced that today. This morning after dropping my girls off at school, I hit a little boy on his bike with my car. He is fine. He actually got on his bike and rode the rest of the way to the front of the school. I could go into a full account of what happened, but I will just say that he was a small boy, on a small bike, and I simply did not see him. I had the surreal experience of sitting in the principal's office, in my jammies, sobbing (yes, as I have stated before I am a pajama driver in the mornings), with my baby in a onsie with a snotty nose, explaining things to a police officer. I felt like a naughty child, and at the same time, an irresponsible, reckless adult. 
These feelings were even more compounded when I talked to my mom tonight and told what I had done. I truly felt like a penitent teenager who had an accident while driving her parents car. 


As awful as all of this was, I am so thankful for the good things that happened today. That I was just starting to pullout from being completely stopped when I hit him. That I only hit his back tire, and the worst injury he received was a scratched elbow that didn't even bleed. That I didn't get written a ticket, because, technically I didn't break any laws. That the school staff was so wonderfully kind to me. That I have an amazing friend who immediately drove to my house as soon as I explained what happened, and let me cry on her shoulder. Then would not leave till she could see that I was okay again. That my sweet husband didn't get upset when I told him what happened when he got home, and gave me a blessing for my peace of mind. Lastly, that I have a loving Heavenly Father who is watching over me, and this little boy, protecting us both. 
Today, I have been truly blessed. 

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry Sara. What an awful experience. I am so glad everyone is OK and that you have wonderful family and friends to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sara, I am so sorry that you had to go through this. What a traumatic experience. I'm grateful that so many wonderful people were there to help you through it. Good for you for having such a positive attitude too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scary, Sara! I'm so glad he's okay! What an awful thing for you to have to go through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

What do ya think?