Friday, December 19, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend


I am struck with a little sadness today. It has finally hit me that Mervyn's is gone. the department store my amazing mother has worked for, for nearly 30 years is closing all their doors forever. Mom has already left and found her new home at Home Depot, but I think it is with a little sadness that she left.

I am realizing how much of my life has been spent inside of and revolving around Mervyn's. As a kid I loved to go look at the toys. I could spend hours looking at all the Barbies and Ponies. I loved to hide in the round racks of clothes with my brothers, and I always felt (even as an adult) just a little special to walk past the "employees only" sign as I headed into the break room.

As I sit here typing I am wearing my Mervyn's bought shirt, socks, and bra. Jason left the house today in his Mervyn's dress slacks, and shirt, I would wager his socks are Meryvn's too. As for Emilie, and Ivy, I know the everything from their clothes, and underwear, to their socks and shoes are Mervyn's bought. I think over the years, my family almost singlehandedly kept them in business.

I would like to thank my mom for all her years of service to that store. I would like to thank her for putting up with all the crazies, all the crabbies, and all the down right nasty people she has helped over the years. I would like to thank her helping all the truly kind and friendly people that have graced her store, and for helping everyone in between. I would also like to thank her for always doing her best. For killing herself for the sake of the store, and more importantly her department. The Men's Department.

I am really going to miss this store. I know that may be silly, but I pretty much grew up in Mervyn's, and every time I would walk into a store, be it on Meadows Lane in Las Vegas, or Utah, or anywhere else, it always felt like home.

Goodbye.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry for your deep loss.

    By the way, I thought you were talking about the guy in the wheelchair at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad...but we did get your card today, and the palm made me ever so happy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunshine, thank you for all the kind words. It has been kind of hard not to miss going to work at Mervyn's. I will miss all of my regular customers that I have helped for years, and the friends and fellow employees that I will no longer see. Them closing has really closed a chapter of my life. I now start a new one with The Home Depot. I love my new job and the people I work with. They are a great team and I am glad to be a part of it. Blessings come in strange packages somethings. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

What do ya think?